Friday, August 14, 2009

Poetry Friday

When I was in high school, we sang this poem. It was so beautiful. I wish I could find a recorded version of it.


Plus, has anyone seen that documentary on the BBC that Rupert Everett does on Lord Byron? Whoa!

I'm so often shocked by what I see on the BBC.

She walks in beauty

by Lord Byron

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Love that poem! Though I can't hear it without thinking Dead Poet's Society. ;-)

Claire said...

shocked like how? ...never watch much so am interested!

Cyfaill said...

Well, in the states you just don't have nudity or the f word on regular tv. Not that I'm particularly offended or shocked by nudity or the f word, but it surprises me on tv. Plus any documentaries that Rupert Everett does! Also the Louis Theroux documentaries and once we saw (but didn't watch it) where they were airing world's biggest....!

Cyfaill said...

Surprised is more like it rather than shocked.

Cyfaill said...

and I'm not knocking the BBC, just saying it is different. Prior to 9 pm, it's pretty family friendly and the CBBC is great!